Friday, February 23, 2007

Lankershim Theater and The Ritz Motel



When you live somewhere, it's very easy to neglect the things around you on your day to day life. I lived in Scottsdale, AZ until I was 19 but it wasn't until I came back to visit that I ever went to Taliesin West (let alone knew it existed) and to this day I have never been to the Grand Canyon, and I got around too. So now in my life I do a lot of exploring in the areas in which I live. That being said, North Hollywood (and not the new trendy NoHo Arts District) is an area that lacks, what I would say, appeal. It is next door to the suburb I live in, Valley Village (which is basically a 6 square block radius separating Studio City from scary North Hollywood(f.y.i. it is also where Sarah Silverman lives on her new TV show, Oooo)), but it is an area saturated with crime, car theft, and gang violence. Vanowen Street Loco's anyone?

I want to digress to share an embarrassing fact about myself; sometimes, at night, before I go to sleep and am flipping through channels, I watch the crime watch channel, showing all the scary dealings in the area. I sometimes get chills under my warm Ralph Lauren comforter at some of the police sketches, it's not a healthy activity but I frequently do this.

So when I heard there was an old theater down on Lankershim I became very curious. On my travel I ran into the Ritz Motel, which if maintained would have great character and it actually looks fairly neat at night. As for The Lankershim, which is now a church (a fate common in most old theaters), I wonder if the area was always run down as it is now, but in my readings it seems as though that is the case. It was hard to get a picture of it but the naked lady fighting a shrimp adds a nice touch I think.

You can can get some information and another picture at Cinema Tresures. Which is an amazing site that literally has information on every single movie theater ever built in the country. They also have a book out, aptly titled Cinema Treasures which you can get here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost stayed at the Ritz Motel for one night. They only accept cash - I paid the owner $68 and went up to my room. The walls inside the room were covered with gang graffiti, and when I looked at the mattress there was a huge blood stain on it. I'm not talking about a drop of blood - this was a stain from a pool of blood. I have never been to such a disgusting place before in my life. I went back to the desk to get my money back immediately, and the owner only wanted to give me half of my money back. So I had to stand out there and argue with him until he gave me a full refund. Avoid the Ritz Motel at all costs. It may look cool from a distance but it's a sickening place.

Anonymous said...

Don't know if this blog is still alive or not, but for what it's worth, my band stayed at the Ritz Motel approx. Oct / Nov of '79 (about 5 weeks) while recording an album at Leonard Kovner's now defunct Davlen Studio down by Toluca Lake.

The Ritz was a pit even then, though time & neglect, along with the neighborhood deteriorating, have taken their toll to make it even worse these days.

Back then, bikers used to sometimes ride their bikes up the stairs to the second floor balcony for kicks. Drugs and drunks partying often.

I went back and checked it out a few years ago (~ 2003), and it was even worse. It looked almost abandoned, there were no cars in the lot, and a creepy guy keep peeking thru the curtain at me from a second floor room, like he was afraid I was a cop coming to bust him for something.

Maybe the worst place I ever stayed at in my life. Definitely a lot of history and many incidents and things went down at the Ritz, most of 'em likely bad.

All in all, a great place to OD or maybe even get robbed & shot! Ah, memories.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big7.jpg[/img][/url]

מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - אווירה כפרית, [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] מרווחים, שירות חדרים, אינטימיות, שלווה, [url=http://kfarbair.com/services.html]שקט[/url] . אנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מיוחדים גם יש במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]אחרוחות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מיוחדים אשר מוגשות ישירות לחדרכם!

לפרטים אנא גשו לאתרנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

Anonymous said...

You are a very smart person!